Tuesday, May 22, 2012

In The Know: MSG The "Know" Down

I happen to be one of those who's body cannot tolerate MSG or the long term Monosodium Glutamate.  If I eat something that contains it I know it and because of this it is even more important to me about the product I give to  my customers.


 Tastefully Simple products currently do not contain the ingredient MSG.  When MSG is added to a food, the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) requires that it must be included on the ingredient list, as the ingredient "monosodium glutamate."  Other glutamate-containing food ingredients, such as hydrolyzed protein and autolyzed yeast extract, must also be listed on food labels.

Some people, like myself, may have varying sensitivities to MSG, just as to many other foods and food ingredients.  MSG is one of the several forms of glutamate used to enhance the flavor of savory foods.  People often use the term MSG to mean ALL glutamate.  Glutamate is an amino acid, found in all protein-rich foods.  It also occurs naturally in foods such as cheese, milk, mushrooms, meat and many vegetables.  I didn't know that, did you?

As always, the best source of ingredient information is the product label on the food itself.  I recommend that clients/customers consult their health-care provided if they have any specific concerns.

I hope you found this information helpful and useful as I did.

Simply Enjoy!

Jamie Volner, your TS Consultant
www.tastefullysimple.com/web/jvolner
The Food You Love, The Time You Deserve



No comments:

Post a Comment